Every parent knows how tasking it can be to get kids engaged and to keep your cool during school holidays!
Today’s Tip is centred around getting through the school holiday with your kids.
How can you handle the holiday with the kids?
Here are seven tips that should help you get through the days of ‘boredom’.
By the way that’s a forbidden word in our home – once I hear you’re bored, you’re in for some chores.
- Let them give you ideas of what they’ll find interesting. Don’t try to force them to do only what you want. Trust me, you’ll be more at peace when they’re doing their own thing as long as they are safe. This will also help them to be self reliant.
- Give your kids time for outdoor activities. The outdoors will do them a world of good and make them tired too – less energy to bother you.
- Get their creative juices flowing with getting them to do their own show (you can try this in conjunction with other kids). They will love playing dress up!
- Lower your expectations of having an impeccable home during this period. Like someone said: “Don’t buy white furniture when you have kids if you don’t want to spend all the time screaming”. The bottom line is let them have fun without you breathing down their necks all the time.
- Give them space to explore – in their rooms or somewhere safe so you can get some time to yourself also.
- Don’t forget to let them have friends over to occupy them even more. When they’ve run out if ideas for play, they are sure to get fresh ones from their friends.
- Swap babysitting time with another mom or family you can trust to give you room to get other things done during this period.
I’m sure you’ll have some of your own tips to share too.
What keeps you sane during the holidays?