Life has a way of throwing things at you and sometimes even things you never planned for especially in the area of marriage. Being a staying at home mom, can be voluntary or it can be thrust on you but either way, when you find yourself there, either temporarily or for the long haul, you will have to decide to make it work.
How can staying at home work in this day and time?
If you consider the career milestones, social dexterity, and entrepreneurial escapades your mates or at least women are making in the society and world at large, it may just make you feel insignificant and look like you are not doing much. But you are. There are seasons in life, some are busy, some are quiet. Just recognize which you are in.
- First things first, you need to be ready emotionally – so you will be ready to give answers to numerous questioning coming your way.
- Decide how long you will like to be at home with the children (2-7years), have a vision for it (train your children morally, support academically etc.)
- Have a plan for personal growth (reading books, listen to the news, participate in online trainings)
- Make your home a priority – husband and children. Afterall, that’s why you’re home.
- Have a plan for cash inflow( business, online blogging) learn valuable skills (cooking, tailoring, language and speech, home making etc.) and see value in what you are offering to your family. If you don’t look down on yourself, no one will. So, keep your head up high and invest in your family.
Benefits of being a stay-at-home mom includes bonding with children, ability to easily recognize warning signals of abuse, time to do homework and assignments, ability to support and manage the home more effectively, sufficient time for personal developments, opportunity to learn skills and vocation relevant to you.
On the whole, remember the choice to stay at home or to be on the move, is yours but it can be rewarding if you put the period in perspective not just looking at what the society demands.
It also important you check to see what your family uniquely needs. Stay-at-home mode will not work for every woman just like being on the move will also not work for every woman. The key is to discover your calling and season, stick to it having your family’s best interest at heart.
God bless you,
Blessing Onwuamah is a Mom, Freelance Writer and Contributing Writer for www.strivingnigerianmom.com and www.deardaughterofgod.com.
If you are a stay-at-home mom and you have any questions for her, kindly send her an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This Post was first published on www.strivingnigerianmom.com